The MyCharleston portal is another step towards implementing single sign on for the college. IT is working towards consolidating the number of different passwords used by the various systems down to a single username and password combination. This is good because it means there will be less passwords for students to remember, but you will be required to change your password regularly to help keep your account secure.
The first time you log into MyCharleston, it makes you change your password. Please be aware that changing your password here also changes your password to various other systems on campus. The most common systems affected by this are the ones listed below. If you have configured a program to check your email, you will need to update that program with your current password in order for it to continue to access your mailbox.
- Edisto Email
- Logging onto computers in the classrooms and library computer lab
- LPTOne print management system in the library
- Library access from off campus
- Access to Antivirus downloads from the College of Charleston website.
- CampusWide wireless network
- Clean Access Agent if you live in a residence hall
- Spam filter to change your settings
- people.cofc.edu if you have an account on this server
- blogs.cofc.edu if you have a blog